Dylan O’Brien and his Maze Runner cast mates — Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Dexter Darden and Ki Hong Lee — gave fans a tour of the set of the third film in the YA action-adventure franchise The Death Cure.
The preview for the film, set to hit theaters Feb. 9, 2018, aired during the MTV Movie & TV Awards Festival, which streamed live on MTV.com on Sunday ahead of the Adam Devine-hosted awards show.
The set visit featured O’Brien and Co. showing viewers around the futuristic WCKD compound, where Minho (Lee) is being held captive.
Brodie-Sangster said the entire film is “a rescue mission” and that the third film should bring the franchise “full circle.”
“There’s a lot of moments in the script that hark back to the first movie,” he says. “I hope that this one does the first and second justice. I think it will. I think it’ll be better.
Production was shut down and the release date was delayed for The Death Cure after O’Brien was seriously injured in an accident on set last year.
The movie was originally set to open Feb. 17, 2017.
According to sources, O’Brien was in a harness on top of a moving vehicle when he was pulled off the vehicle unexpectedly and hit by another vehicle. His injuries were described in a report from WorkSafeBC as including a “concussion, facial fracture and lacerations.” When the production shutdown was extended, insiders told THR that O’Brien’s injuries were more severe than initially believed.
Wes Ball is directing Death Cure, in which O’Brien’s character searches for a cure for a deadly disease called the “Flare.”
The first Maze Runner film, released Sept. 19, 2014, grossed $348.32 million at the global box office on a $34 million budget. The sequel The Scorch Trials, which opened in the same window a year later, Sept. 18. 2015, made $312.33 million at the worldwide box office on a $61 million budget.